Cinderella

I wrote this when I was ten years old. It took me one year to write.

When Cinderella was very young, her mother died.
So she had no happiness in her life.
The only one who loved her was her father.
Because she had a very uncaring stepmother.
Her step-sisters too, were not any less,
They always used to flaunt their money and dress.

But it wasn’t long before Cinderella’s father died too.
Cinderella was very sad, that was true.
Her stepmother used to make her work, all day long.
She used to thrash her, if she did anything wrong.

One day there came an invitation
From the handsome prince of the nation
It said - “All the maidens of this nation,
One and all,
Are you interested in my ball?,
This is a ball to find out whom I will marry,
So if you’re going to come, Please do hurry!

Cinderella had no idea that this could change her life.
She didn’t know she would leave behind,
All troubles and strife.

She helped her stepsisters to get ready,
And asked them if she could come,
But she knew the answer already.
The answer was no,
Because, they said, she was very slow.

When they left, she began to cry bitterly,
For her heart had broken entirely.
But then she heard a small pop!
Her fairy godmother appeared.

She said, “Don’t cry,
I’ll help you out, my dear!
Bring me a pumpkin and six mice,
I will cast a spell on you,
So that you’ll look nice.”

Cinderella did all the things with great haste,
Because she didn’t want her time to go to waste.
The fairy turned the mice into six horses,
And the pumpkin into a coach which on its big wheels rolled.
She turned Cinderella’s rags into an exquisite dress,
Embroidered with threads of silver and gold.

She tied Cinderella’s hair into ringlets,
And conjured from thin air,
A pair of dainty glass slippers,
Very comfortable to wear.

She told Cinderella, “Now go to the ball,
But, beware!
Come back at 12 o’clock, for the magic will wear off,
And your dress will turn into the rags you wear.”

Cinderella set off in the coach, looking very beautiful.
At last she reached the palace, trying to act graceful.
As she entered the hall, every eye set on her.
The princess came and knelt down beside her.
He said,” You are the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen,
In all the palaces I’ve ever been.
Can you please come and dance with me?
I want you to forever be near me.”

Cinderella was only too happy to do so,
As she danced, her dress seemed to sparkle and glow.
But enjoying herself, she forgot the time.
She remembered the fairy’s words,
Only when the clock began to chime.

Cinderella picked up her skirts,
And ran for all she was worth.
To get home safely, she moved heaven and earth.

But on the palace stairs, she left a slipper of glass.
The princess noticed this, as he ran after the lass.
He picked up the slipper,
And made a proclamation,
“Whomsoever this shoe fits,
Shall be the princess of the nation.”

Then maidens came from far and wide,
To try on the shoe.
They shoved and they squeezed,
But it just wouldn’t do.

In the end came the step-mother,
With her daughters who were fat.
“What are you doing here?” said the prince.
“You’re as fat as a cat!”

“Where is that maiden?” cried the prince.
“Why can’t I find her?
Is there any other girl left?
Just one other?”

“Yes, I have a daughter,”
Said the step mother.
“But she’s just a disgrace to me,
Not at all a person for you to see.”

“Well,” said the prince,
“I’ve tried my best.
But till I’ve found the girl,
I won’t take any rest.”

So in the end, the step mother agreed.
Because the prince said, the girl was all he would need.
They found Cinderella wiping the floor.
As she tried on the shoe,
The prince’s eyes widened more and more.
For this was the girl,
He was waiting for all along.
And the reason that I wrote this little song!

He took her to his palace and married her,
With great pomp and grandeur,
They made a wonderful couple,
And lived happily ever after!

1 comment:

  1. Srishti,
    I saw your drawings, read your poems and short stories , they are amazing ,wonderful . Keep it up and also groom , motivate your friends ,peers to do something like you

    ReplyDelete